Friday, April 18, 2008

And just for the record...

A few of my writings have referred to global warming and the effects of pollution. I am neither an environmental scientist or any other qualified professional on the topic, far from it honestly. There is a lot of debate rolling around about whether global warming is actually a problem or if we're just seeing the effects of the downside of a continuing cycle that has been happening for thousands of years. For everyone's sake, I hope it's the latter. I don't know if pollution from our automobiles is actually as harmful as some are trying to tell us it is or if its worse than we thought. I have never claimed to be too much of an environmentalist. I do my best to be responsible for my waste, not to be a total pig and trash any place that I feel inclined but, I don't always recycle when I should or go out of my way to buy products that are better for the environment either. I struggle with this issue a lot being a car and motorcycle enthusiast and an aspiring father who will eventually leave this world behind to my children and theirs. I don't ever want to give up on the culture that I have been drawn to since I was a young boy and I sometimes feel like I am betraying that every time I write about global warming and oil alternatives. I also don't want to be the a gung-ho big block cowboy that disregards the possibility that these issues are real and leave a mess for the next generations of my family to deal with.

As long as I'm making confessions, I am also not an economist nor have I ever held an executive position in the oil industry however; I can say with a great amount of certainty that fuel prices are extremely excessive and if something doesn't happen soon, our economy will be "running on E" and we'll all be asking for oil alternatives just to be able to afford to drive to work every day. These oil companies need to be regulated before they do more economic damage than they already have. It can get worse, and it will if nothing is done about this.

As I work towards educating myself as much as possible on these issues, I want to let my brothers and sisters of the Ol' Skool Kulture know that I haven't "turned to the Green side" and left them for dead. I plan on building a led sled when I get out of school and it will most likely have a big nasty motor that would make any grown hot rodder cry. I plan on teaching my kids all about the car and the culture. On the flip side, doing what any father or hopeful future father would do, I'm trying to protect my own and leave them with a good, healthy life when I go.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

John,
Are you the next Ralph Nader?? :-)

All kidding aside you have a knack for creative writing. AND u will be a papa when??

Dennis

Vito said...

Some great thoughts John. I discovered your blog through Kenny. He's always one step ahead of me.